Click here to view this Taxpayer Alert as a PDF.
The Illinois Toll Highway Authority today holds its final two public hearings on the proposed 90 percent toll tax increase. Today’s hearings will be in Schaumburg (Cook County) from 4pm to 6pm and Buffalo Grove (Lake County) from 7pm to 9pm.
Boosters for the toll hike—including unions, contractors, and political lackeys, are expected to continue showing up in full force at the hearings. Taxpayers and commuters are needed to attend and make sure the tough questions are asked.
Taxpayers United of America (TUA) Vice President Christina Tobin and Director of Outreach Rae Ann McNeilly will testify against the proposed 90 percent toll tax increase today at 4pm in Schaumburg (with a list of the Top 100 Illinois Tollway salaries)!
Go to the hearing and ask these troubling questions about the Tollway’s $12.1 billion boondoggle:
1) The Jane Addams Tollway is in poor condition, and we do not dispute that it needs repair. However, before we pay almost double in tolls, we want to know:
Has the resurfacing project going on since April 2011 been a complete waste of our money? Will resurfaced areas have to be ripped up in order to rebuild? Would it not be more cost-effective in the short run to complete the “quick fix” resurfacing and hold the rebuild for better economic times? Can we trust the Authority to spend the funds properly and to use a fair and transparent bidding process instead of paying more for well-connected contractors?
2) Why do we need the Elgin-O’Hare expansion? Until the western terminal of the airport is built, this is just a $3.6 billion (or as much as $4.3 billion) “Road to Nowhere”!
3) Why do we need to expand Route 53 for the “Illiana Expressway” when the Illiana does not yet exist?
August 23, 4-6 pm
Cook County – Schaumburg Prairie Center for the Arts, 201 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg
August 23, 7-9 pm
Lake County – Buffalo Grove Village Hall, 50 Raupp Boulevard, Buffalo Grove
Even if you cannot make it to the hearings, you can help put down this $12.1 billion scheme by calling these officials to OPPOSE THE TOLL HIKE!
● Gov. Pat Quinn (D), (217) 782-0244 or (312) 814-2121
● State Toll Highway Authority Board of Directors, (630) 241-6800